Friday, October 31, 2008

Gun Control?

We had a part of this conversation the other day...and that's when we decided to do this bloggy thing.

Kumiko: So, where do you stand on gun control?
Me: I think we should all own guns.
Kumiko: Whoot!
Me: But I think gun locks should be used.

Oh boy, that started it there. lol. Kumiko's stand ~ education is the key. Here's my tyrade. :)

1. the 2nd amendment is there for a reason. if we, as Americans can't protect ourselves then what's the point.
2. education is always a good idea....for everything. guns, sex, whatever. But from my own experience...I went through Family Life/Sex Ed. and all that crap. I knew that unprotected sex would get me pregnant, but I did it anyway. Three kids later, it took me a while to figure it out. I did not grow up around hunters, so I was not around guns my whole life. But, I knew they could kill me. So, I just didn't even think about them. Now, when I think about MY kids...that's a different story.

Lemme give ya an example. Cigarette lighters. My kids know (or have been taught) "don't play with fire" - let's explain the burned hunk of carpet in the playroom. The first time I caught them with the lighter, I hid them on top of the fridge.

No dice, the 4 year old is a climber.

The second time, my 7 year old had a burn on his FOREHEAD and holes in his shorts from trying to see what Pop Tart wrappers did when they were lit on fire. So, I yeall at them, tell them how scary it is that they could have been hurt...hide them in my underwear drawer.

Psh. Ok. Third time's a charm, right? Not so much. I find out about this one because the fire alarm goes off...and there's a puff of smoke in the playroom (hence the burn mark) This time, Josh was lighting up ropes, etc....and some of it melted and stuck to the carpet. His reply "I wanted a campfire."

This time I realized I needed to go to extremes. i take each boy outside one at a time and I have a very in depth conversation about the house burning down, etc...and I tell them to stick their fingers out. And i lit the lighter.

"OW! WHY DID YOU BURN ME MOM?!?!?!" Because, if you catch the house on fire...that's what it can feel like all over your body...and you can die.

We were good for about 2 months. THEN....they found one in my purse. Now none of the stuffed animals in the house have whiskers.

My point is, some kids just can't learn a lesson. "It won't happen to me" is a big response....and education just isn't going to be enough. Important, but not enough.

I can't wait to see what she says :)

No comments: